The Sticky Sermon

Photo source: blog.mastercleanusa.net


God's Word is sticky, is it not?

You know, it gets ALL up in yo' beez-nuss.

It meddles.

It creeps down deep into your consciousness and just stirs.things.up.

Of course, this is a good thing.  In fact, this is a very loving and gracious thing purposed by our Heavenly Father.

But it is an uncomfortable thing.

And, if you're anything like me, we all like our comfort.

Take the Sermon on the Mount, for example.

Oh, do not even get me started on this one.

After making my way through the minor prophets in my drop.dead.gorgeous She Reads Truth Bible, I innocently kept sailing along right into the book of Matthew.

Chaper 1--genology.  Kind of a snoozer, but it goes by fast.

Chapter 2--Christmas story.  Hmmmm...warm fuzzies.

Chapter 3,4--John the Baptist, Jesus's baptism, calling disciples.  I got this.

Chapter 5-7.  Heaven help me.

And there it was: suddenly the cruise control disengaged and I came coasting to a dead stop.

Stuck.  (Yep, and I was on vacation, too!)

I don't care who you are, or how long you've been a Christian: the Sermon on the Mount will get you every.single.time.

Oh, it seems so simple.  But it is positively diabolical as it will set up ticking little explosives down deep into your heart and bust it wide-open.

Love your enemies.
Rejoice during persecution.
Turn the other cheek.
If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and throw it away.
If someone sues you for the coat off your back, give them your cloak, too.
If you speak ill of someone, you've murdered them.
If you lust, you've already committed adultery.

Okay people, now just listen.

This is a part of Scripture where you cease to feel like God's friend and you realize just how other God truly is when compared with you.

It can feel comfortable to be a Christian after believing for decades and darkening the halls of the church all of your life.  And do not misunderstand me--it is good, and even necessary, to understand who we are in Christ and stand in this identity when we do battle with the enemy.

But lest we get toooooo comfortable, may we never forget that we are very different from God, and it is only by His grace that He reveals His truth and His laws to us and that He gives us the ability to follow His Word in obedience.

And so, just like when you plant your tennis shoe smack-dab in the middle of chewing gum left out on the sidewalk, I am sitting down on this metaphorical curb, trying my best to deal with Matthew chapters 5-7.

....looking around for that stick to scrap it off.

....asking God what He'd have me learn and do.

....taking time out from my brisk walk, because suddenly that doesn't seem so important anymore.  Nope.  Now's the time to get to digging and scraping and allowing the Holy Spirit to clean me up so I can get back on that track.

What about you, dear friend?  Have you felt the stickiness of God's Word in your life today?  This week?  This month?  Are you digging in, going deep? Oh, even though it can be uncomfortable, I hope you do, dear one!!  I hope you wrestle, for as Jacob knows, that is where the true blessing lies!!

Need some direction?

Well, look no further than Matthew 5-7.

I tell you what...it will get you every time.

No comments

Back to Top