Homeschooling: Q & A

Photo courtesy of propelyourcompany.com

This week, I've had the distinct pleasure of discussing the options of homeschooling with some dear friends and family, both online and over a cup of coffee.  One friend told me on her back porch that she and her husband have decided to pull their children out of private Christian school and homeschool next fall.  Another friend sat in my living room and asked me a lot of questions about homeschooling while her infant sucked on Little People.  It brings me back to all those fears, questions, and uncertainties my family faced a few years ago when we decided to take a different path to educate our children, too.  I've learned a lot, failed a lot, and prayed a lot through the process, but I can definitely say it has blessed our family tremendously.  Perhaps you, too, have a lot of questions about homeschooling, but never had the courage or opportunity to ask!  Well, I pray that this post will help you find some much needed answers to your questions, too!

Q: How do I get started?
A: It is as simple as mailing a letter to the school district or superintendent of your public school system.  Many school districts have form letters online that you simply print, fill in the blanks, and place in the mail.  You will get a confirmation letter in return that you can file away for your records.

Q: How long does homeschooling take?
A: It honestly depends on your child, which subjects you are teaching, and their grade-levels.  I can only speak to K-2nd grade, but we are easily finished in approximately 2 to 3 hours if we keep it to only book work--reading, writing, etc.  This time varies if we want to add in a science experiment, art project, or trip to the library, of course.

Q: Is it expensive?
A: I've read statistics which state that homeschooling families spend $900 per child per year, on average.  For our family, I'd say we've consistently schooled for less than $500, even with co-op tuition.  I just learned of a local woman who homeschooled her child completely for free using online printables and a library card.  It honestly depends on what kind of resources you want to have available at home!

Q: What about socialization?
A: As a homeschooling parent, you are in control of how often you choose to get your child around their peers.  I kid you not, I've had the state recently knock on my door because a neighbor thought I was running an illegal daycare (I presume because of all the children we have in and around our home on a regular basis)!  Homeschooling co-ops also provide opportunities for children from different families to come together to learn and play, enabling children to socialize with different adults and children of multiple grade levels--not just their peers.  And don't forget the social opportunities homeschoolers still enjoy with sports teams, church groups, scout troops, etc!   It truly has not been difficult to socialize our children!

Q: What about all those other aspects of school, like the cafeteria, playground, yearbooks, and class parties?
A:  As part of a homeschooling co-op, we have had the opportunity to have class parties (Christmas, valentine exchanges, pajama days, etc) and even yearbooks!  As for the playground, we have built a swing set in our yard and we often go down the street to the neighborhood park. At the start of our year, my children wanted to buy divided lunch trays at Walmart so we could have our own cafeteria (however, I draw the line at wearing a hair net!).  You really can get creative with many of these other aspects of school which children enjoy and you do NOT have to sacrifice them in the name of schooling at home!

Q: What curricula should we use?
A: This is definitely a personal decision that requires prayer!  I have found that my curricula choice must also reflect what is best for each child's learning style and not just my personal preference, and this can change as each child grows, too!  I would encourage you to research online, ask friends, go to a teacher store, attend homeschooling conventions, etc, so you can read over/look/touch various options.  The truth is, however, that there is NO perfect curriculum and we all have to start SOMEWHERE.  So, do not get stuck in "analysis paralysis"!

Q: Does homeschooling have to overrun my entire house?
A:  Absolutely not!  I have done it both ways--I have homeschooled at my child's bedroom desk and also dedicated a spare room to create a school room.  It does not have to take up a lot of space and you can even take your books with you and school at your library, park, etc.  I know plenty of families who school at their kitchen table and then pack the books away when they are finished.  You have many options!

Q: How does the review/testing process work?
A: This varies state-to-state, but it often entails either keeping a portfolio of completed work, standardized testing, or both.  Also, homeschooling students also have access to any standardized testing done at the public schools in their district.  Testing and portfolio reviews can be arranged through avenues the school district has in place and they will make you aware of those once they receive your letter of intent to homeschool.  There are also testing and portfolio review options that can be arranged through "umbrella" homeschooling organizations and co-ops. Generally, reviewers are looking to see that you have a plan, implement this plan, and that your children are showing progress and improvement in each subject area.

Q: Can I still homeschool if I work outside the home?
A: Absolutely!  There is a father a few homes down from mine that homeschools his children while his wife works full-time outside the home!  He schools the children in the morning, and then works from home in the afternoon.  I have also heard of mothers and fathers who both have careers (one works at night) and school their children in their strongest subjects.  As stated above, it truly takes so few hours in the day to homeschool, making it flexible with lots of parental schedules!

Q: Am I qualified to teach my child?
A: Homeschooling parents come from all sorts of different educational backgrounds.  Honestly, many (if not most in my area) have bachelor degrees, and some of us even have masters and doctorates!  However, regardless of your educational background, I would submit to you that YES you are fully educated to teach your child.  Another way of looking at it is like this: if you graduated from high school and are NOT qualified to teach your child, then why would you place your child BACK INTO a school system which does not produce educated adults?


Well, I hope that I have answered some of the questions you might have about homeschooling.  Please feel free to chat with me about homeschooling if you'd like to know more or even see our homeschool in action! I truly believe there is NO perfect system to educate your child, but I have seen how homeschooling has blessed my family and many others, and I hope you will consider this path for your loved ones, too!

**If you wish to know more about WHY we choose to homeschool, check out my post here**

No comments

Back to Top